John Meeuwsen heads up the Our Waiheke campaign, supported by a group of Waiheke rate payers who believe a Waiheke Council would serve Waiheke’s interests better.
John has many years of experience at senior level in both the public and private sectors. He is currently on Waiheke’s local board and chair of both the Library Consortium of NZ Ltd and the Personal Advocacy Trust. He has chaired the Industry Training Federation and been deputy chair of the Open Polytechnic.
Together with the Our Waiheke team, John is championing:
- greater local decision making,
- All Waiheke rates and revenue spent by Waiheke,
- local businesses having much fairer access to council contracts,
- environmentally sustainable development,
- a return to local waste management.
He is keen to see a Waiheke Council which will assist young people to move from education into employment, and enable older residents to remain in their own homes for as long as possible.